Hope you all had a great summer and easy first day of classes. My name is Kate Cullen and I am the current President of the Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA), which is Wesleyan’s student government. We have recently gone through a major facelift to be more inclusive, accessible and transparent. An explanation of these changes, as well as more info on how to register a student group and apply for funding through our new easy-to-use online interface can be found on our recently launched website.
In short, we now have a Senate (what used to be the WSA General Assembly) and a House (consortium of student leaders and community members invested in change). We hold weekly Sunday night meetings, alternating between Open Town Hall Meetings and General Assembly Legislative Sessions.
If you are interested in campus issues such as environmental sustainability, sexual assault prevention, racial justice, socio-economic inclusion or reducing textbook costs, enhancing weekend social life and distributing student group funds, you should absolutely get involved with the WSA.
- By this Friday
- Submit a petition with 25 signatures: available in the WSA Office or here
- Submit a 200 word statement for the online ballot to email@example.com
- On this Sunday at 6pm:
- Attend mandatory Candidates Meeting in Usdan 110 and following Town Hall Meeting
- Online polls are open Monday 9/14 at 12:01 am to Friday 9/18 at 11:59pm
We invite all student group leaders to be official members of the House, join us for bi-weekly meetings and work with us on WSA committees and working groups. Not a student group leader? No problem, come to three Sunday meetings and you can also become an official member of the House.
Other events we hope you will join us for:
- First Town Hall Meeting, Sunday 9/13 7pm Center of Usdan
- Current Agenda: Psi U suspension and Greek Life
- First Annual State of the School with President Roth, Wednesday 9/16 8pm Chapel
- Student Groups Fair Friday 9/18 2-5pm Huss Courtyard
- Disorientation Week Monday 9/7 through Thursday 9/17
We look forward to getting to know all of you this year, collaborating on student life issues and raising our voice as one unified student body to the administration and Board of Trustees. Always feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org, drop by a meeting or stop a WSA member walking around campus with any ideas or questions
Kate Cullen ‘16
Wesleyan Student Assembly